Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Watch out for Jesse's curve


FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Blue Jays reliever Jesse Carlson is once again throwing pain-free after spending all of last season recovering from rotator cuff surgery. He signed a split contract with the Red Sox and has a good shot at winning a bullpen job.

“I know what I can do when I’m healthy. I think here with the Red Sox I’ll actually be used how I should be used,” Carlson said. "There (with Toronto), it didn’t matter if we were winning, losing. If we were up 10 or down 10, it was kind of like, ‘Let’s put Carlson in.’ That’s fine. I’m not going to complain. I’m there to pitch. I did everything I could to help the team. I just think, being that we have so many good guys in the (Boston) bullpen, I think each guy will have specific roles. I think my role will be to get left-handers out.”

The slender Carlson is loaded with tattoos on his upper body, including a "good vs. evil theme" on his arms. In 2009, he was involved with a bench-clearing brawl at Yankee Stadium that started after Jorge Posada gave him a forearm shiver while crossing home plate.

No comments: